Friday, March 13, 2015

Problem of practice

My problem of practice is 2 fold, one coming from the other.

Like many history teachers before me, I have often lectured to deliver content in my classroom.  I can honestly say that it has been successful for much of my teaching career.  I am at the very least, an engaging story teller and I have the ability to hold the attention of a classroom of teenagers.

At least, I could until my school system adapted a 1:1 device model (with iPads the last couple of years and Chromebooks starting next year.)  I struggle to hold their attention, even the best students are distracted by the things they can do on the iPad (text, tweet, play games, etc.)

I want my students to tell their own family stories, and I want them to use technology to do it.  I have found that thought they do know how to use technology to stay connected to one another, they lack a certain digital literacy, especially when it come to producing various types of digital media.

So, my problem is how to get my students more engaged in the Modern US History curriculum through telling their own family stories and how to increase the knowledge base of my students to be able to share a story using a variety of digital median.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Todd,
    I think that some teachers just assume that our students know how to use digital media because they are always on their phones or Twitter. I too have found this to be a fallacy. Just because they use certain types of digital media on a daily basis does not mean that they know how to use everything. I think your idea is exciting and if you teach your students how to use the tools first, you will have well armed students embarking on an exciting task. I am looking forward to seeing how this evolves in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete